The Parents’ Code of Conduct below is to be provided to all parents whose children are involved in club activities and a signed copy kept on file. Codes of Conduct give everyone a guide to what is expected of us if we are part of an organization, participating in a sport, or as spectators at our child’s events.
The essential elements of character-building and ethics in sports are embodied in the concept of sportsmanship and six core principles: respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, trustworthiness and good citizenship. The highest potential of sports is achieved when competition reflects these “six pillars of character”.
By signing below I hereby agree that:
- I will encourage good sportsmanship by demonstrating positive support for all sailors, coaches and officials at every practice session and competition.
- I will place the emotional and physical wellbeing of my child ahead of my personal desire to win.
- I will encourage my child to sail in a safe and healthy environment.
- I will inform my child’s coach of any physical disability or ailment that may affect the safety of my child or the safety of others.
- I will teach my child that doing one’s best is more important than winning, so that my child will never feel defeated by the results of a competitive event.
- I will never ridicule or yell at my child or other participant for making a mistake or blame my child’s teammates for placement in a competition.
- I will do my best to make sailing fun and will remember that my child participates in sports for his/her own enjoyment and satisfaction not mine.
- I will ask my child to treat other sailors, coaches, fans, and officials with respect.
- I will applaud a good effort in both victory and defeat emphasizing the positive accomplishments and learning from the mistakes.
- I will teach my child to resolve conflicts without resorting to hostility or violence.
- I will be a positive role model for my child and other sailors.
- I will respect my child’s coach and refrain from coaching my child or other sailors during competitions and practices because it may conflict with the coach’s plan or strategies.
- I will respect the decisions of officials and their authority during competitions and teach my child to do likewise.
- I will show appreciation and recognize the importance of volunteers and club officials.
- I will study the rules of Yachting Australia, teaching my child accordingly so that we have an understanding and appreciation of the rules of competition and membership.
- I will support all the opponents in my child’s competition and respect the rights of all sailors to participate.