EVER THOUGHT OF BECOMING A SAILING INSTRUCTOR?
Humpybong Yacht Club is looking to expand its training and instructing offerings so that we can better support sailing on the northside of Brisbane.
The plan is that we will continue running the tackers programs focussing on Sundays and school holidays. Green fleet activities will continue to be ramped up and we will build on the great success some of our junior sailors enjoyed this year.
The real change will be to the adult and youth programs. There is a formal sail training system in place that is followed Australia wide and we propose to run a full program for sailors of all levels. This will involve more programs at weekends and mid-week programs which we will offer to schools and those who no longer work.
To carry out this ambitious program, we need to attract more instructors. What’s in to for me you might ask? That’s easy. In addition to learning and imparting new skills and having fun doing something you like doing:
- Sailing instructors are paid – there is a standard rate and it Humpybong we will be offering a further share of the success the program will achieve
- We will train you – Humpybong has a policy that all volunteers’ courses are covered by the Club – initially more than $700 worth of course fees
- Your skills will be transferrable – you can instruct with us and also be available to instruct at other Clubs
All we are asking is that you commit to at least one full season with HYC. To qualify, all you need is:
- To be physically fit enough to be able to sail a dinghy
- Be able to get a Queensland Blue Card
- Be able to hold a Queensland Recreational Boating License
- Understand the basics of sailing; and
- Enjoy working with people of all ages and backgrounds
We are also looking for parent volunteers to assist with development of youth and junior sailing on club days; the training is the same.
If you are interested in discussing your options, please call David Begley on 0402 422 447 or Peter Bradbury on 0412 695 146. The program is kicks off in June.